You are here
Buzzwords: College College 

Buzzwords: College

Starting college can feel like you’re learning a new language. Some terms you need to know:

Academic Advisor

A counselor or designated individual who has been formally trained to counsel students regarding academic choices. Your advisor’s advice will enable you to enroll in the courses that best support your academic goals.


Accreditation is the endorsement by a third party of an institution’s quality of education. A school’s accreditation determines its eligibility to receive federal (Title IV) and state financial aid. Proper accreditation is also important for the acceptance and transference of credits between schools.
For more information, see

Articulation Agreement

An agreement between two or more schools that allows course credit(s) from one school to be transferred and accepted, so you can apply them toward a degree or certificate from another school.

Arts and Sciences

A group of academic studies that may include fine arts, languages, social sciences, natural sciences and humanities.


The Office of the Bursar bills and collects tuition, fees, campus housing and other university related charges.

Cooperative Education (Co-op Education)

A structured method of combining classroom-based education with practical work experience. It enables a student to combine employment in a related career field and coursework to earn credits.

Core Transfer Library (CTL)

A list of courses approved by all Indiana public and six private institutions that transfer among all public (and some private)colleges and universities, assuming adequate grades.

Dual Credit

Dual credit courses are courses that are taken by high school students that satisfy requirements for earning both high school and postsecondary credits. Dual credit courses are taught by regular high school faculty or by regular or adjunct postsecondary professors. The term “concurrent enrollment” is also used to describe dual credit.


The branches of learning concerned with human thought and relations, especially literature, philosophy, fine arts and history.

Independent Colleges of Indiana (ICI) 

A non-profit association which represents Indiana’s 30 private, non-profit, regionally-accredited colleges and universities.


You can earn class credit by working pre-approved jobs on or off campus. These jobs will provide practical experience in your major.

Liberal Arts

A school or course of study which focuses on developing your general knowledge and reasoning ability instead of a specific discipline. Liberal Arts degrees are often considered to provide a well-rounded, general education in the arts and sciences.


An area of interest in which you can earn a degree.


A secondary area of interest you can study in addition to your declared major. Minors are typically disciplines in a different department from your major and require fewer classes than a major.


A beginning class that prepares you for a more difficult class.


A warning that you are not in good academic standing. Probation may be accompanied by restricting credit hour enrollment.

Proprietary Schools

Colleges or universities that are run as profit-making institutions. These schools provide practical training in specific fields.


The Office of the Registrar is responsible for keeping track of student records.

Remedial Course

A course that teaches basic math, writing, and reading skills, etc. that are needed to succeed in college. Many students learn these skills in high school.

Resident Advisor or Assistant (RA)

An upper-level, trained student leader who supervises a specific residence hall or section of a residence hall; RAs are trained to counsel students, answer questions and offer advice about college.

Rolling Admission

Schools with a rolling admission practice accept applications throughout the year. They may or may not admit you as soon as they receive the required application materials.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Every college or university has a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirement, which usually means maintaining a certain GPA.

Service Learning

Combines community service with classroom instruction, focusing on critical thinking, value clarification and social responsibility. Service learning provides you with relevant experience and a meaningful contribution to the community.

Teaching Assistant (TA)

An upper-level or graduate student who assists an instructor with a course; TAs often help teach the course, lead discussion sections and grade papers.

Transfer Single Articulation Pathway (TSAP)

TSAP degree programs were established to help you achieve a bachelor’s degree in the most time- and cost-efficient manner. These pathways enable you to apply an associate degree earned at Ivy Tech Community College or Vincennes University toward a corresponding bachelor’s degree program at a four-year public university.

Source: TransferIN

Related posts

Leave a Comment